It’s evident that you make the best decision when you know the exact background behind an insurance policy. That’s why we have created an article about scissor lift insurance and everything that goes behind choosing the policy.
What is a Scissor Lift?
Working at height on a construction site requires safe and comfortable elevation for the workers. This calls for a scissor lift that is a dedicated machine with a platform to raise with a strong base. It comes with all the safety precautions that keep the health of the workers in check with utmost strictness.
Scissor lifts need to be appropriately maintained; otherwise, the following risks will prevail.
Risks Associated with the Scissor Lift
As utilitarian scissor lifts can be, there is also a flip side to it. These can be equally dangerous when not used appropriately. The risk is amplified when untrained personnel operates the scissor lift. Scissor lifts can also be hazardous when not maintained or serviced at proper intervals.
- The risk is falling from a height that causes death or permanent disability. The operator should tie himself with proper equipment even if there is protection on the base.
- Another risk associated with scissor lifts is the speedy wind that can easily knock down something that is raised at a considerable height.
- If the scissor lift is overloaded beyond the recommended weight, it won’t function properly and we’ll be at the risk of collapsing.
- Whenever the truck that carries the scissor lift moves while it is raised at a height, it’s always a risk of falling.
- The people going up on that raised platform should not lean on the guard rails. It’s for their own safety as they are not meant to put weight on voluntarily.
- Some work locations have electrical networks running through. All these networks should be kept clear of the raised platform. Otherwise, the person is at risk of contact with highly volatile wiring.
- The handbrake of the vehicle should be thoroughly applied during the platform is being used to high altitude work.
- The person going up on the raised platform should always be cognizant of the environment he is working in. No one should get complacent as working on heights is always a risk.
- Anyone who has even a minor phobia of heights should not use the scissor lift. Other than that, anyone who has not taken adequate diet is always at the risk of getting unconscious on such heights.
Tips for managing risks associated with scissor lift
- To manage all about risks, make sure that the scissor lift is operated by competent professionals. Any untrained personnel can be a threat to everyone working there.
- The scissor lift should be supervised and checked after every 6 months at the maximum.
- There should be an appropriate scissor lift insurance policy the minimize the loss if any mishappening occurs. Even if you have adhered to every regulation, the insurance policy reduces the loss after something devastating.
- Every risk should be considered, including, the people operating the machinery in use, and the purpose.
- Even little inconvenience should be reported immediately.
The policy of a scissor lift should contain every risk factor conditions to cover for maximum lost that could happen due to the above uncertainties.